Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I want to contact the UW Medicine Regional Burn Center?
    • The UW Medicine Regional Burn Center offers comprehensive care for persons with a burn injury at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, Washington.
      • Outpatient Care – UW Medicine Regional Outpatient Burn/Plastic Surgery Clinic (206-744-5735)
      • Inpatient Care is provided on two separate nursing units – the Burn Intensive Care Unit on 9EH and the Burn Acute Care Unit on 8EH at Harborview Medical Center. 
  2. Who do I contact about outreach education for my hospital about burn care?
    • ​Contact Maria Paulsen RN at 206-744-5435 or email
  3. Who do I speak to about the Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS) Course?
    • Contact Maria Paulsen RN for questions or information concerning the Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS) Course at 206-744-5435 or email
  4. What burn injury research studies are going on at the UW Medicine Regional Burn Center? 
    • The UW Department of Surgery/UW Medicine Regional Burn Center has a long history of research into treatments that alleviate many of the medical problems associated with a burn injury.  Current research investigations concern:
  • Use of immersive virtual reality for pain control during wound care and physical therapy
  • The influence of genetics on scarring after a burn injury and on long-term patient-reported outcomes
  • Evaluation of glutamine in recovery from a major burn injury
  • Evaluation of a home rehabilitation therapy program in adult burn survivors (see research tab on this site)

Where can I find general information about burn injuries for new patients or other interested persons?

I am a physician or other health care provider with a question about transferring a burn-injured patient to Harborview – whom can I contact?

  • Call the Harborview transfer center at 1-888-731-4791.  You will be able to speak with a burn surgeon about your concerns and the need for transfer to Harborview Medical Center.